Kea Deaths in the village

{ Posted on Apr 28 2016 by Renée }
Categories : Uncategorized

 

A kea was found sick in the village and died shortly after being picked up. A post mortem by Massey University showed that this bird had high levels of lead toxicity that had led to its death

This has brought home to us again the need to do whatever we can to deter our symbolic bird from staying around the village picking on lead nails, lead flashing, etc. Any feeding of the birds will encourage them to stay around too long and we hope that all the community will join in discouraging any feeding and other attempts to “tame” our lovable parrots.

We would also encourage any removal of lead nails, lead linings, etc on bachs and houses. To this end please talk to Chris Stewart, if you would like some help to undertake these measures.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.